Show Notes for Episode 32: 11 Common Stereotypes: How to Make Them (and others) Real People – Part Two
Alone in a Room with Invisible People is a podcast focusing on topics related to writing, revising and publishing fiction.
The conclusion to the two parter on stereotypes:
I (host Rebecca Galardo) and Author/Teacher Holly Lisle discuss stereotypes that we’ve all seen in fiction: on the page or screen. The Evil Villain, Selfless Hero, Badass Chick, Tough Guy, Angsty Teen, Comic Relief, Henchmen and more.
You might have other examples and that’s fine! Holly offers a system of questions and answers to show you how YOU can take a stereotype – ANY stereotype – from a bland cliche to a deep, well-rounded character.
In Part One we dove into the first few characters. In this episode we speed it up but still show the make up of the stereotypes left on the list, how to look deeper into characters that require more and ways to show their differences. We’ll wrap it up with a more concise focus on the process as well as sharing the one rule you’ll need to remember when dealing with any character. We also have a brief discussion of specifically using stereotyping and cliches to play with the reader’s/viewer’s expectations.
After the episode: Have something to say? A question to ask? Jump into the FREE forums at HollysWritingClasses.com (no purchase or ownership of courses necessary) and share with us. Share, rate and subscribe for weekly episodes!
- This is the more recent video from Ryder Carroll (but pre-trendy version) and the Bullet Journaling System. This is the minimalistic BuJo system that Holly mentions briefly and now uses.
- Alone with Invisible People FORUM: https://hollyswritingclasses.com/forum/index.php?forums/our-podcast-alone-in-a-room-with-invisible-people.183/
- AIARWIP Patron:https://www.patreon.com/aiarwip
- AIARWIP Redbubble: https://aiarwip.redbubble.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aiarwip
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alonewithinvisiblepeople/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/aiarwip
- Our Website: https://www.aiarwip.com/https://www.alonewithinvisiblepeople.com/
- HollysWritingClasses: https://hollyswritingclasses.com/
- Holly’s Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hollylisle/
- Holly’s Personal Page: https://www.hollylisle.com/
- Holly’s Blog: https://hollylisle.com/weblog/
- Rebecca’s Personal Page: https://www.rebeccagalardo.com/
- Rebecca’s Writing Blog: https://rebeccagalardowords.wordpress.com/
Producer – Rebecca Galardo. Sponsor – Holly’sWritingClasses.com. Intro written by Holly Lisle and performed by Mark Hermann. Our podcast is 100% free and sponsored only by Holly’s Writing Classes.