Show Notes for Episode 19: What Motivates You to Write Fiction
Alone in a Room with Invisible People is a podcast focusing on topics related to writing, revising and publishing fiction.
This week I, (host Rebecca Galardo), discuss the topic of Writing Better Description with Author and Teacher Holly Lisle. We cover the issues many writers face with this topic, such as description that is: boring, too long, too detailed, unnecessary, etc. We also discuss the most common questions, “What do I need to include?” and “How do I know when I have the right amount of description?”
Holly provides a very clear set of questions for yourself and actions that can help guide you through writing better description by knowing what is integral in each scene.
We take a look at the following:
- What exactly is writing? The answer is probably not what you think.
- Why do you want to write?
- Where in your life will you draw your fiction from and why?
- What is in it (writing) for you? What can we get out of it? What will motivate us to keep going?
- Questions to ask yourself discover what matters most to you and why.
Share, rate and subscribe for weekly episodes!
Mentioned in the Podcast
- Light Through Fog
- Longview Books (Settled Space Series): Born from Fire Book 1, Selling of Suzie Delight Book 2, Philospher Gambit Book 3, Gunslinger Moon Book 4
- ’10 Percent Happier’ by Dan Harris
- Mark Twain’s Letters from the Earth (FREE download | FREE audiobook) (other books by Twain)
- John Caparulo
- Sympathy for the Devil
- Mom’s Goal Setting Workshop
- NEW Redbubble
- NEW Patreon
- AIARWIP FORUM
- AIARWIP Ko-Fi (support the podcast!)
- All the ways to support AIARWIP
- AIARWIP Redbubble
- AIARWIP Facebook
- AIARWIP Instagram
- AIARWIP Twitter
- AIARWIP Website
- Holly’s Ko-Fi (support Holly!)
- Holly’s Personal Website
- Holly’s Blog
- Rebecca’s Website
Credits: Producer – Rebecca Galardo. Sponsor – Holly’sWritingClasses.com. Intro written by Holly Lisle and performed by Mark Hermann. Our podcast is 100% free and sponsored only by Holly’s Writing Classes.