Show Notes for Episode 17: Writing Better Description
Alone in a Room with Invisible People is a podcast focusing on topics related to writing, revising and publishing fiction.
This week I, (host Rebecca Galardo), discuss the topic of Writing Better Description with Author and Teacher Holly Lisle. We cover the issues many writers face with this topic, such as description that is: boring, too long, too detailed, unnecessary, etc. We also discuss the most common questions – “What do I need to include?” and “How do I know when I have the right amount of description?”
Holly provides a very clear set of questions for yourself and actions that can help guide you through writing better description by knowing what is integral in each scene.
We take a look at the following:
- Problems writers face with description
- What good description is and is not
- Questions to ask before writing description
- How the process differs between First Draft and Revision
- Why revising as you go is detrimental to every single writer – no exceptions.
Share, rate and subscribe for weekly episodes!
Mentioned in the Podcast
- (CLOSED: Glass House won. By a LOT.). Choose which Train Wreck YOU want to see! Which First Draft book will torn asunder for all to see, laid bare, poked and prodded… Okay, you get the point. And don’t forget, you can’t vote unless you’re a member of the (free) forums here.
- AIARWIP FORUM
- AIARWIP Ko-Fi (support the podcast!)
- All the ways to support AIARWIP
- AIARWIP Redbubble
- AIARWIP Facebook
- AIARWIP Instagram
- AIARWIP Twitter
- AIARWIP Website
- Holly’s Ko-Fi (support Holly!)
- Holly’s Personal Website
- Holly’s Blog
- Rebecca’s Website
Credits: Producer – Rebecca Galardo. Sponsor – Holly’sWritingClasses.com. Intro written by Holly Lisle and performed by Mark Hermann. Our podcast is 100% free and sponsored only by Holly’s Writing Classes.